A transplanted Floridian calls it as he sees it...

I promise to tell all! I'll be as rufff as I have to.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Can someone please educate me on gift giving and receiving etiquette?

I thought the rules were simple. You give a gift and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. You get a gift and you feel the same warm and fuzzy feeling, but you are supposed to say "thank you." Isn't that right? At least that's how we did it in Florida.

I do not recall Emily Post ever saying that the proper response to a thoughtful and well presented gift was to yell "ewwwwwwwwwww!" while pushing the giver back out the door, locking him out on the deck. Yet, this is exactly what Mommy did to me when I gave her a gift.

I thought it was a really nice gesture. It showed my love. I could have kept it for myself you know, but it was a pretty yellow colour and I thought it would look good with her car.

I brought it in, nodded my head to her in deference and love, and dropped it gently on her right foot. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Is it possible that she doesn't actually like dead birds? That seems unlikely. It smelled great to me.

Take care all.

Rudy, confused gift giver

No comments:

Post a Comment