A transplanted Floridian calls it as he sees it...

I promise to tell all! I'll be as rufff as I have to.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Daddy has broken my heart

I never, ever, EVER thought my Daddy would let me down, but last night he did and I am devastated. If it weren't for my Mommy I'd be completely inconsolable today. Thank goodness for Mommy!

Daddy had some things he needed to do before bed. The evil euphorbia plant fell on Mommy yesterday and she had it. She said it was time to stop picking that plant up and cleaning up after it, and get it out of the house. Daddy loves that plant, and wanted to save it. Frankly, it freaks me out. Plants should not jump off shelves on their own and make messes. It's just not right...but I digress.

So, Daddy cut off nearly all of the plant's arms. I guess that's so it can't scratch up Mommy again. She was not happy. She wanted it out of here. It's only about two feet tall now, and before it was six or seven, so I think she can take it now that it's little, but time will tell.

Then he wandered around the house, looked at the leaky toilet in the bathroom upstairs, and pronounced it "broken." This did not impress Mommy. She said she already knew it was broken (the puddle on the floor told her that) what she wanted to know was how to make it NOT BROKEN anymore. He says he'll think about it this weekend. Mommy made that sighing sound and rolled her eyes.

Then he called me and Smudgie up to bed and Mommy stayed up late in the TV room. We thought we were going for a nap. We had no idea that Daddy was going to bed. No idea at all.

Did you notice what was missing?

HE FORGOT TO FEED US.

Oh the horror!

He went to bed without our third meal of the day, affectionately called "second dinner." I laid down, my heart breaking, I knew my life was over. That's it. Starvation.

I had loved living here. I LOVED my family (even Smudgie) and now to be left to starve to death overnight. Oh no. OH NO.

Smudgie is a little more, shall we say, assertive than I am. When he figured this out (a little after I did, but let's not judge), he took action. First he kicked at Daddy, but Daddy was already sleeping and woke up just enough to say, "Go away."

Then Smudgie decided desperate times called for desperate measures.

He started scratching and kicking at the bedroom door like a maddog. Then he started barking with all his might. This got Mommy's attention so she came and got us. I thought we were saved, but she didn't get it at first. She took us out for a pee.

Well thanks Mommy. We did need to pee. When Daddy forgot to feed us, he also forgot our post dinner pee, but really, we weren't all that worried about the peeing part.

She told us to come back upstairs and I sadly, and obediently, went. But Smudgie wanted nothing to do with that. He planted his enormous bum by his bowl and would not budge.

Mommy looked at him and said, "Are you trying to tell me something?"

And Smudgie said nothing. He just glared at her.

So Mommy ran upstairs and woke Daddy up. He was grouchy. I know, because I felt obligated to follow her upstairs. Only Smudgeman was brave enough to stay parked at the bowls.

She asked him if he'd fed the boys (I'm a boy! I'm a boy!) and he thought about it a minute and said, "Bad word, I didn't." Well, again my heart fell. He seemed so matter of fact about it, and he rolled over and went back to sleep.

Woe is me. Woe is Rudy.

Then something amazing happened. Mommy looked at me and said, "Well Rudy, I guess I'll have to save the day and feed you boys." My heart leaped. And so did my body, right up in the air. Mommy laughed at me and said, "Dude, it's only fifteen minutes late."

So we came back downstairs (Smudgie still hadn't moved a muscle) and Mommy fed us.

SHE FED US.

SHE FED US.

DID YOU GET THAT? SHE FED US.

Mommy saved the day. She sensed our pain as we were wasting away, and she saved us both!

It was the best kibble ever.

Thank you Mommy.

Then she took us back upstairs and locked us in the room with the evil Daddy. We both vowed to never forgive him, and we won't, but we did agree there was no sense in punishing ourselves by staying off the bed, so we did go up and snuggle him, but we didn't really mean it.

So there you have it. Mommy saved our very lives last night. She's pretty good that way. And this morning we really showed Daddy. We woke him up for breakfast early. So there.

So all is well now...for the moment. But we'll be watching that Daddy guy very carefully from now on.

Take care all, and pay attention to tummies. They need to be kept full.

Survivor Rudy, who almost starved to death last night

3 comments:

  1. you gave me such a good lol i love you guys keep it up dreamer duffy and suzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rudy. So, this one time, my Grammaw and Auntie Vienna went away for many sleeps, and my Dad was looking after all of us. One morning he was making our breakfast, and I was trying to help, because we were all hungry and I thought I could get things going a little faster with some supervision. Apparently he didn't see it that way, and he put me in the dining room and closed the door. And forgot about me.

    I waited, and waited, and listened and listened. I could hear everybody else chowing down. Surely he'll let me out soon, I thought. My breakfast is waiting for me!

    The dogs finished eating and I heard Daddy let them outside, then back in again. I meowed out loud a few times, just to let him know that I was ready to come out and eat, but I guess he didn't hear me.

    Then, horror of all horrors, I heard HIM go out the back door, close it, and turn the key in the lock. WHAT!? HAS!? HAPPENED!? I couldn't believe it. My Daddy has forgotten all about me. I'll starve. I have no litter box. That's it. My life is over.

    I stayed in that dining room (how ironic, eh? I was in the "dining" room, and my food was not with me) the whole day. I meowed and meowed. I paced at the door. I napped. Then I meowed and meowed again.

    Well, the good news is, Grammaw and Auntie Vienna picked up on my distress meows, and they drove all the way home from wherever it was they were, and rescued me.

    Grammaw was very mad at my Daddy for doing that to me. And I taught him a hard lesson by ignoring him for a whole night after he got home from work.

    Thankfully, this has not happened again.

    Hmmph. Daddies. We know they love us. But why can't they remember to do stuff as good as Mommies, Grammaws, and Aunties?

    Cousin Zeke, who's "been there".

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your Mommy saved the day. Love the story. I'll be back to visit.

    ReplyDelete