A transplanted Floridian calls it as he sees it...

I promise to tell all! I'll be as rufff as I have to.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Poor Smudgie...Life is awful for him right now.

So Mommy took him to see the vet on Friday to get his bandage changed, and when the took it off it was infected. Dr. K said that he got something called "staff" or maybe it's spelled "staph." Anyway, it's way worse than they'd hoped.

Mommy came home with tears in her eyes. She said that she had to hold Hudson while the vet trimmed all the hair and cleaned up the infection. It includes his toenail, two toes, and goes partway up his footie. She told Daddy that he screamed the whole time Dr. K worked on him. She said it was the worst thing in the world to be a part of. Poor Mommy and Poor Smudgie.

He did get a nice purple bandage this time, but I doubt that makes him feel any happier.

He's taking super duper pills now, and they seem to make him a little "off." Also, it was a roofing day again today, and he was completely freaked out...so he wouldn't go outside. He just wanted to stay in his crate and cry. Finally, when all the roofers came in for lunch Smudgie and I got to join them, and he walked to the front door. (It's the only one he trusts these days. He will NOT go out back for a pee.) I guess no one figured out what he wanted, but he let go and made a gigantic pee right there, on the carpet. He is so ashamed. I'm told he hasn't peed in the house for way more than a year, possibly as long as I've been alive. It kinda makes me wish I hadn't peed in the bedroom this morning. Sheesh.

He hid under tables and in his crate the rest of the day. Auntie Brighit told him it wasn't his fault...she said that the noise, the medicine, and feeling yucky with a sore foot probably caused it and that he's still a good boy.

No one ever tells ME I'm a good boy when I pee in the house. In fact, Daddy says words I can't even post here.

So, I feel really bad for Hudson. For some reason, he feels really bad about peeing in the house, and especially that he did it in front of everyone. I've never really thought about feeling ashamed about it before. I must think about this...could he be right?

So, hopefully Smudgie will heal quickly. He goes back to Dr. K on Monday (good luck dragging him inside) so I'll have to let you know how he does.

In other news, I played with two strange dogs last night. I think they were ok. I may have to reconsider my earlier "kill em all (except Smudge and Katie)" position. Some strange dogs are actually nice. Who knew?

Take care all, and think kind thoughts for my older (but shorter) brother. I think I'll try being nurturing tonight. Maybe that will help.

Nurse Rudy Nightingale

2 comments:

  1. Oh Poor Bunky! Sloppy kisses from Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rudy, I know how hard you are working to figure out all these changes in your life, and to show your whole family what a good boy you can be. And you're doing it! Remember how nicely you behaved at lunch? With all the noise and disruptions and all the sweaty, smelly people in your house? You were awesome! (FYI, your brother was no angel when he first came home, and look at him now.) So hang in there buddy. Give Hudson a nudge for me, and tell him I hope he's feeling better today. Love Auntie B. PS, Zekie, Horus, Kittie, Moses and Captain Jack all say, "Meearouw" (that's cat for "Hey Cousin, how's it going?") and they all send big healing purrrrrs to Smudgie.

    ReplyDelete