A transplanted Floridian calls it as he sees it...

I promise to tell all! I'll be as rufff as I have to.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Did you know that there are these things called parks? And apparently, they made lots of them!

Mommy and Daddy often take "the boys" to Fraser's Grove Park. I knew all about that one. It's nice, and I really thought it was huge, but what do I know?

Then, they started taking us to this place called Bird's Hill Park. Mommy said it was really big, but the part I saw wasn't all that big. It was called Burr Oak Trail. It's nice, but it's just a big path to walk along. There's no room for adventures or side trips.

Well, all of that changed this weekend. We went to a place called Kildonan Park! Smudgie says that's what we stare at out the window all the time. It's across the river from our house. I had no idea! (And, I think it's cruel to make a dog stare across the river at a park and NOT take him or her there daily.)

We went, and we walked and walked and walked. It's a BIG park and I got to see lots of it. There were all these people having BBQs and picnics. (It wouldn't have killed them to share, by the way.) There were kids playing something called soccer. Too bad I was on my leash. I sure wanted to grab that ball and run with it! There were duck ponds and flower gardens and something called the "witches' hut!" It was pure sheepdoggie heaven!

I fussed at one dog, but then I actually met one I liked. I didn't put up a fuss at all. Mommy and Daddy hugged me, and petted me, and praised me. I had no idea this was so important to them. We walked for what seemed like hours. It was hot, and Smudgie pooped out as usual, but I could have walked for days!

They tried to get us to drink out of this funny water tap, but neither of us would have anything to do with that, so they sprayed us with water to cool us down. I liked it, but it clearly irked the Smudge.

When we got back to the truck Mommy and Daddy gave us water in an almost proper bowl so we had a nice drink and then collapsed in the back seat. Daddy made sure the back windows were open about halfway so we could enjoy the breeze (and the smells) but we couldn't jump out. I don't know why Mommy worries about that so much, but she does. Why on earth would I ever want to jump OUT of the truck when the family I've waited so long to find is sitting IN the truck? Do they think I'm not smart?

Hudson says that there are parks all over the city, and in other cities too. I'm so happy. I hope I get to see each and every one. Hudson can come too, if he promises to keep up. Silly dog. He acts as if having legs half as long as mine is some sort of excuse!

Well, I must go folks. I'm going to take a nap and dream of parks I have yet to visit. Sigh. Life is good.

Take care all, and head for your nearest park immediately!

Park Ranger Rudy

PS In other news, Daddy called IBM to see about buying some new keys for his laptop, and it turns out that it's "covered" under something called a "warranty." I don't know what that means, but it seems good. He's almost forgiven me for my slight transgression earlier. I still maintain it's not my fault. If the keys didn't smell like a yummy food treat, I wouldn't treat them that way. Honest!

PPS Mommy still hasn't gone to work. Do you think she got amnesia? We like having her at home and all, but who's watching those kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment