A transplanted Floridian calls it as he sees it...

I promise to tell all! I'll be as rufff as I have to.

Friday, December 31, 2010

I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year's Eve, but I'm not sure it's such a good thing...

Yet another holiday is now upon me and again I've no idea what's going on. Smudgie is his usual unhelpful self. He says that tonight we all stay up really late, and hug and kiss at midnight, but he won't explain it any further, and it makes no sense to me. I don't know why anyone would hug and kiss at midnight. Around here, I get hugs and kisses all the time.

But he says that tomorrow is a whole different year. Everything is going to change.

I'm a little concerned. This cannot be a good thing.

I LIKE this year. This is the year that I got to fly on a plane. I got to meet snow. I found a Mommy, a Daddy, and a (semi-mean) brother to love. I got a new house, and learned what stairs are.

I learned all about where to pee and where not to pee. I escaped alligators forever, got my unpleasant bum issues under control, found someone to trim my nails and take care of my fur, discovered the art of the pack nap, got toys of my very own (sorry about ripping them all to shreds), and tried all sorts of new foods. I discovered tummy rubs, bum scratches, snowball fights, ice cubes, carrots, and that whipped cream is tasty, especially when someone you love squirts it in your mouth.

I learned that it's okay to bark at the mailman...in fact, it's important to do so. He tries to invade your home about five times a week. I've fought him off successfully each time, by the way. I've learned that other dogs are not for biting (and I hope that one day I'll remember that all the time). I've learned that socks are not for eating (a really hard one to remember), and I've learned that a family is someone who rushes you to the emergency room and finds someone to save your life when you do forget the sock rule. I've also learned that a family may grumble about the bill that comes with the operation, but that they'll pay it and just be beyond thankful that you're okay.

This year I've learned that when I go outside (yep, that's the place) for a pee or a poo, Mommy or Daddy might close the door after me, but they will always be waiting there to open it when I return. And that as much as wearing a basket muzzle sucks, it really is to avoid very expensive and painful emergency surgeries again.

I've met all sorts of amazing people who care about little old me this year. I've got my family that I live with, of course, but I also have two full sets of grandparents who think I'm awesome. My Auntie Brighit and my Cousins Vienna and Jzero are amazing. They play with me, and laugh at me when I'm goofy. I have dog friends on the street here too (sorry about the growling...) and neighbour friends who actually like me. I even have a whole team of friends who care about me at the vet...and Mommy says that next time I want to spend time with those friends, just ask. She says we can visit anytime. A surgery is NOT required to go there.

I know that when Smudgie needs medicine that Mommy always pretends to give me some too, just so I feel loved. I've learned to sit when I'm told, and not to jump on people as much. I now have a microchip (whatever that means) and THREE different tags on my collar (did you hear that? MY collar). All three tags mean I belong somewhere...with someone. Yep, I BELONG!

And this was the year I learned to roller blade. There is nothing in this world better than that.

Until I got here I never knew how to blog. I didn't have any virtual friends, but now I do. My oes.org buddies are absolutely the best people on the planet. This has been an amazing year. I don't want to see it end.

What if this new year thing brings changes? What if I don't like the changes? What if it all ends? I am worried. Maybe someone should do something about this. If we all just refuse to participate maybe then we can all enjoy this year forever.

So, take care all, and be sure to resist. Let's stay firmly planted in 2010. Fight the New Year! Fight the New Year! Let's let tomorrow be January 1, 2010B. That has to be a better option. And if that Baby New Year guy shows up around here I'll bite him. You guys do the same at your houses, ok?

Rudy, the chronological warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment